This curated list includes important digital marketing updates and insights from the month of March. To stay updated on the latest updates from the digital landscape, read our Digital Marketing Apple Page.
- Google rolls out open testing ads + more ads and analytics features. The announcement read
To get even more testers into your app, you’ll soon be able to promote Android games with open testing in Google Ads as well. By running open testing ads in App campaigns, you can drive early users to your app to test things like app stability, user retention, monetization, and effectiveness of ad creatives—then use the learning to improve your results when you launch.
Starting today, App + Web properties in Google Analytics will proactively surface gaming-specific user funnel metrics like acquisition, retention, engagement, and monetization in one place.
- LinkedIn launches Conversation Ads. The announcement read
Conversation Ads build on our current Message Ads offering (formerly Sponsored InMail), and feature a “choose your own path” experience that lets you create full-funnel campaigns with multiple customized calls-to-action, like product education, webinar sign-ups, and ebook downloads.
- Pinterest rolls out dynamic retargeting, catalogs updates + more features for retailers. The announcement read
NEW! Introducing Verified Merchants, Conversion Insights & Catalogs updates
Verified Merchant Program: We’ve launched the Verified Merchant Program with retailers like Quay Australia, Ruggable, Filson, Coyuchi and Lotuff Leather, who’ve met our qualifications for high quality customer service experiences through manual review. Verified Merchants will display a special blue checkmark on their profiles, and become eligible for increased distribution within high-intent shopping experiences and metrics like conversion reporting. Retailers interested in signing up for the program can learn more at pinterest.com/verified.
Conversion Insights: Gain early access to organic and paid conversion insights so you can measure Pinterest’s impact on your site visits, checkouts and sales over multiple attribution windows.
- Snapchat rolls out Lens Web Builder - a new ad product that makes it easier for advertisers to design and distribute AR-based ads. The announcement read
Lens Web Builder is:
Simple: Create your own AR experience by picking from hundreds of 3D objects & animations
Fast: It only takes a few minutes to create your first Lens
Free: Brands or businesses with any budget can now access this immersive format. There are no creative fees to access our repository of 3D assets, however daily minimum campaign spend requirements apply.
- Reddit advertisers can buy Trending Takeover ad units. The announcement read
With this new offering, brands looking to position themselves at the center of discussion on Reddit now have premium venues in two of the most commonly visited areas of the platform: Reddit’s Search tab and Popular feed.
A mobile view of Trending Takeover on Reddit’s Popular feed, where people discover the most popular trends.
- Coronavirus Ad Spend Impact: Buy-side (IAB). Some important insights from the report are
What’s happening right now (March-June):
• Digital ad spend is down 33%
• Traditional media is down 39%
• The majority (63%) of advertisers are adjusting their messaging and are increasing:
o Mission-based marketing (+42%)
o Cause-related marketing (+41%)
• More than a third (35%) of advertisers are adjusting their in-market tactics, and are
o Audience targeting (+38%)
o OTT/CTV device targeting (+35%)
- 69% of site content is not seen by customers and prospects : Study. Download Here
- Google posts guidance doc ( on updating info and temporary closures) for businesses affected by COVID-19. Read more here
- Google temporarily disables and limits a number of features in Google My Business. The announcement post read
Our current focus is on the quality and reliability of information on Google Search and Maps. We want to ensure users and business owners have access to essential features like whether the business is open or has special hours. Learn about best practices for affected businesses, and what you can do to keep your customers informed.
- Google Search and Maps will display if a place, like a school or local business, is temporarily closed. The announcement post read
Based on data from governments and other authoritative sources, Google Search and Maps will now display if a place, like a school or local business, is temporarily closed. In the coming days, we’ll make it possible for businesses to easily mark themselves as “temporarily closed” using Google My Business. We’re also using our artificial intelligence (AI) technology Duplex where possible to contact businesses to confirm their updated business hours, so we can reflect them accurately when people are looking on Search and Maps.
- Pinterest rolls out Today tab as more and more people are coming to the social channel to stay inspired. The announcement read
People need ideas today. So we’re moving up our launch of the Today tab, a source of daily inspiration with curated topics and trending Pins that makes it easy to explore popular and timely ideas. Over the coming weeks we’ll be featuring expert information here from the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control on topics like hand washing during the coronavirus epidemic.
- Facebook rolls out a pilot program with make-up brand Sephora where a user can view their points and rewards from the brand within the Facebook app. Read more here
- TikTok rolls out #HappyAtHome - a new entertainment and information initiative to help lighten the mood amid the COVID-19 lockdowns. Read more here
- Instagram rolls out a new way to browse Instagram with friends over video chat + more updates. The announcement read
Today we're announcing additional updates:
Including more educational resources in Instagram Search
Adding stickers to promote accurate information
Removing COVID-19 accounts from recommendations, unless posted by a credible health organization
Rolling out the donation sticker in more countries and helping people find relevant nonprofits to support
Creating a shared story to help those practicing social distancing connect with others, using a “Stay Home” sticker
- YouTube reduces streaming quality and adds a new COVID-19 info panel. Read more here
- Facebook releases new guides to assist businesses deal with the impacts of COVID-19. The announcement read
If your business has the resources to support alternative avenues, consider activating an Ecommerce solution, or utilising resources such as Facebook Live to feature and sell your goods and services. Retail businesses can also consider leveraging on Facebook Shop to list their products and easily organise a catalogue of items. The interactive nature of these tools allow for greater communication, transparency and helps generate interest and traction. You can also consider leveraging Dynamic Ads as a solution to match your customers’ needs to the most relevant and available products in your online catalogue, or utilise Collaborative Ads to reach out to consumers and drive sales to a partner Ecommerce site.